Thursday, July 16, 2009

Who Needs Potato Chips?

Kale Chips: A healthy alternative to Potato chips.Photograph from 28 cooks on Flickr
So, during lunch break at work today, a conversation with two of my ‘favorite’ colleagues :)sparked my interest in posting the following recipe. We were discussing how chips are so oily and fatty, I thought to myself, hang on, there are healthy alternatives that taste just as great! I remember trying this recipe back in good ‘ol England when I was studying. Below is the basic recipe. I will leave it to you and your imagination to come up with mouthwatering variations. Oh, these are great for parties or simply to snack on, nutritious and low in calories!

Ingredients
1 large bunch fresh kale, washed & dried
Olive oil
Sea salt
Black pepper

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (approx 170°C).
2. Tear bite size pieces of kale & place them on a cookie sheet. ( You can line a tray with foil for easy clean up)
3. Brush or lightly drizzle each leaf with a coat of olive oil on both sides. Sprinkle salt & pepper on the kale leaves
4. Bake in oven for about 7-8 minutes. Make sure to watch them, they will turn from good to bad in a matter of minutes, so it’s really just trying and seeing what works as I know different ovens vary in cooking time. They should be done when the edges are brown and kale is crispy when moved in pan.


Photograph from: sammyw

Bonne Appetite!
Note: You want these to be light, crisp & airy, if you bake them to long they will turn black & become very bitter (resembling fire place ash!)

Yep, I know what most of you are thinking... ‘They’re a little fish food like’ but they are a healthy alternative to greasy/oily potato chips! The best part is you can season them with just about any herb you like! I made these with Garlic and herb seasoning and crushed red pepper; it really took these to the next level! You can even sprinkle with grated parmesan/asiago cheese. For a barbeque flavored undertone, try tossing with paprika (in addition to salt and olive oil!)
In fact, you can use any starchy vegetable, some could be: Eggplant, Zucchini, carrot (slice into thin coins or long strips) Lettuce, bok choy, sweet potato, etc…

My personal favorite is eggplant! What’s yours?

3 comments:

  1. Wow... I think I'll try Zucchini cannot live without it! And def sweet potato chips!

    I will let you know what I think of your recipe once I have tried it out, seems simple and delicious!

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I either heard or read about Jacques Pepin talking about doing this. This is a good recipe Thanx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith: Thank you! Hopefully more recipes to come as my cooking and blog develops! Jacques Pepin is the dean at the french culinary institute in NYC, he is awesome!

    Sura: I know how much you love potato chips! Let me know if these turn out well for you! x

    ReplyDelete